A Colorado bill that would have allowed nonveterinarians to offer animal massage, dentistry, breeding, and other services without the direct supervision of a licensed veterinarian (but with the written consent of an animal’s owner) was voted down in committee.
A cure for rabies? A Wisconsin pediatrician appeals to the veterinary community to help perfect the “Milwaukee Protocol.” Dr. Rodney Willoughby, who in 2004 successfully (!) treated a 15-year-old girl infected with rabies is exploring the role of biopterin (yes, another pterin; unlike aminopterin, this one seems to be beneficial) and hopes veterinarians will join him. If you’re a veterinarian (or veterinary college) with intensive care units and you’d like to host animals with full onset rabies, I think Dr. Willoughby would appreciate hearing from you. His full appeal to veterinarians and much more information about his research will be published in the April edition of Scientific American.
A Seoul veterinarian claims to have cloned a wolf.
Thais veterinarians hope pornography will encourage pandas in a Thai zoo to mate. (This is a legitimate, AP story published in the New York Times. Really.)
The Times also runs a story on the recent legislative attempts to ban horse slaughter.
The L.A. Times offers a longer story on the data being collected online. The article mentions VIN and Pet Connection and notes that VIN will be sending a survey out to members to collect “more complete information.” If you’re on VIN, watch for this!
Watch Early Show veterinarian Dr. Debbye Turner offer advice to pet owners (of course it’s about the pet food recall).
Listen to a New York veterinarian discuss pet foods (including home-cooked foods) with a reporter from the Lockport (NY) Union-Sun and Journal.
Canadians (and a surprising number of U.S. citizens) opine about whether pet food should be regulated in Canada.
Journal issues newly available online:
- Comparative Immunology, Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Vol. 30, Issue 3 (May 2007)
- Journal of Applied Microbiology, Vol. 102, Issue 4 (April 2007)
- Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery, Vol. 9, Issue 2 (April 2007) [Note: catmanager will provide a journal summary of this issue at a later time.]
- Preventive Veterinary Medicine, Vol. 80, Issue 1 (15 June 2007)
- Theriogenology, Vol. 67, Issue 6 (1 April 2007)
- Veterinary Parasitology, Vol. 145, Issues 1–3 (10 April 2007)